Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) is a treatment that involves breathing pure oxygen in a pressurized chamber. HBOT increases the amount of oxygen that your blood can carry and promotes growth of new blood vessels, which can improve all different forms of healing.
When you breathe air at sea level, it contains about 21% oxygen but when you breathe pure oxygen in a Hyperbaric Chamber, the oxygen concentration can be as high as 100%. Your body tissues need oxygen to function and heal properly. When you have an injury or illness that reduces the amount of oxygen your tissues receive, HBOT can help by increasing the oxygen concentration in your blood.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy has been shown to be effective in treating a variety of conditions. Here are some conditions that are addressed by this therapy:
- Boosts the immune system by increasing the white blood cell & antibody production.
- Reduces inflammation which can lead to a variety of diseases.
- Slows the aging process & increases the telomere length up to 20%.
- Helps you live longer by improving the function of your mitochondria.
- Improves blood circulation, reduces oxidative stress, & encourages new blood vessel formation.
- Improves athletic performance, reduces fatigue, increases strength & stamina.
- Increases energy levels, provides better sleep & mental clarity.
- Decreases muscle soreness & speeds up muscle recovery.
- Heals wounds, injuries, & burns faster, including diabetic ulcers & bone fractures.
- Treats chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Detoxifies the body by removing toxins from the bloodstream, including mercury, lead, pesticides, & chemicals.
- Eases joint pain by reducing pain & inflammation.
- Improves brain function, memory & focus. May help with Alzheimer's & Dementia.
- Weightloss through burning calories.
- Lyme disease
- Autism & ADD/ADHD
- Cancer Support
- Covid Recovery
- Covid Vaccine Injury Support
There are minimal risks involved in HBOT. The most common side effects are ear pressure and temporary hearing loss, sinus pressure, fatigue & mild anxiety.
After the treatment you will need to rest for a few minutes before you go home. It is important to drink plenty of fluids & avoid alcohol after the session.
There are no long term side effects of HBOT. The therapy is safe and has been used to treat a variety of medical conditions for more than 100 years.
How to Prepare for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
Before an HBOT session, it’s essential to shower. Avoid wearing perfumes, deodorants, petroleum-based skincare, and flammable haircare products like hair spray.
Do not drink alcohol or carbonated drinks for at least four hours before a session,
Smokers are encouraged to quit smoking when they receive therapy because tobacco products block the body’s natural ability to transport oxygen.
Once your session is completed, you should not have any restrictions or limitations on activity or diet, though you may be tired or dizzy afterward.
Hyperbaric chamber therapy should not be used by people who have:
- Lung conditions (due to the increased risk of a collapsed lung)
- A cold
- A fever
- A recent ear surgery
- A recent injury
- Claustrophobia (fear of small spaces)
Hyperbaric chambers can be a fire hazard. Pure oxygen is highly flammable that is easily ignited by a spark. Cigarette lighters and battery-powered devices are not allowed in the treatment area.
Please contact Smita Shah for questions at 630-664-1226 or you can book your appointment online.